Frequently Asked Questions

Do you accept freshman directly into the Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT) Program?

No. The DPT Program is a post-baccalaureate graduate program. Students who enter the University of Connecticut as freshmen can apply in their senior year. They must first complete a bachelor’s degree and prerequisite coursework (see below).

As a high school senior interested in the DPT Program at the University of Connecticut, how do I apply initially to the University?

Freshman application can be made to the University of Connecticut Undergraduate Admissions Office in a number of majors that can serve as excellent preparation for the University’s DPT Program. Appropriate majors include, but are not limited to, Biology, Kinesiology: Exercise Science, or Allied Health. However, there is no designated undergraduate track for the DPT. Students who are not ready to make a decision regarding an undergraduate major can apply as an Exploratory major through the Academic Center for Exploratory Students (ACES). To contact the ACES office, call (860) 486-1788 or visit their webpage at

What bachelor’s degree do I need to apply to the DPT Program?

There is no specific bachelor’s degree needed for admission to the DPT Program. Students should base the decision for their baccalaureate program on interest and availability. Additionally, students should consider the inclusion of DPT admission prerequisite course requirements within the plan of study for their bachelor’s degree.

What do I need to be eligible for admission to the DPT Program?

Current students must submit an application during fall of their senior year and complete their bachelor’s degree by the end of the spring semester in the year they wish to be admitted to the DPT Program. Applicants who have already earned a bachelor’s degree can apply during the application period of Mid July through December 1st of any given year.

Regardless of undergraduate major there are specific prerequisite courses that are required:

    • General Biology with lab
    • General Chemistry I & II with lab
    • General Physics I & II with lab
    • Human Physiology & Anatomy I & II* with lab
    • Psychology (2 courses)
    • Statistics

*Note that 4 credit Physiology with lab and 4 credit Anatomy with lab courses are acceptable substitutions for Human Physiology & Anatomy I & II.

Additional coursework in the areas of biology of human health and disease, organic chemistry, human development, human genetics, biochemistry, nutrition, and developmental psychology is recommended. Accepted applicants generally earn a cumulative grade point average of 3.3 or greater for prerequisite courses.

Do graduates of the program earn their license to practice physical therapy?

Before graduates from accredited physical therapy programs can practice physical therapy they must pass a licensure board examination. All 50 states, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and the District of Columbia recognize the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy examination as the standard for determining licensure eligibility.

Are graduates of the program finding employment in physical therapy?

There continues to be a strong demand for physical therapists. All recent graduates seeking full-time employment in physical therapy are working in the field.

How many students do you accept into the DPT Program?

The number of admitted students will vary depending on the number of qualified applicants. The target number of matriculated students is 30 in each class.

How many students are admitted and matriculate into the DPT Program?

These numbers vary from year to year. The chart below displays our recent admission and matriculation data.

Number Admitted Matriculated Students % Matriculated of Admitted
Class of 2020 48 32 66.7%
Class of 2021 62 35 56.5%
Class of 2022 52 30 57.7%
Class of 2023 67 30 44.8%
Class of 2024 49 30 61.2%

Will you accept applicants to the DPT Program who are from universities other than the University of Connecticut?

Yes, but applicants must have a bachelors degree or higher and have taken all prerequisites. It is recommended but not required that prerequisites are completed at a four—year degree granting institution. Students must first be admissible to the Graduate School before they can be offered admission in the DPT Program. If accepted, students begin course work in the summer.

When must I have my admission course work completed to be eligible for admission to the DPT Program?

Students must complete the science prerequisites and graduation requirements by the end of the spring semester preceding the start of their enrollment in the program. If a student already holds a bachelors degree, admission requirements must be complete by the start of the program (May).

How often during the year do you admit students to the DPT Program?

Admission to the DPT Program occurs once a year. Application deadline is January 15th. Students are admitted through the Graduate School with the agreement of the DPT Program. Please refer to the Graduate School catalog and website for the University graduate admission application, procedures and deadlines.

If accepted, when would I begin my physical therapy course work in the DPT Program?

All students begin their course work in May of the year they are admitted.

Who should my recommendations be from?

It is preferred that one recommendation be from a physical therapist or healthcare provider and the other from a person of your choice (i.e.: instructor, advisor, employer).

Are there any requirements for physical therapy experience prior to application?

There are no specific experience requirements. However, it is strongly recommended that applicants accumulate at least 40 hours of observation of physical therapy in a variety of settings. The goal of the observation is to familiarize students with the profession of physical therapy as well as to solidify their choice of physical therapy as a profession.

Are there any scholarships available for physical therapy students?

The DPT Program has limited scholarship funding, which is awarded annually through the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources. Students should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid Services for additional information on other scholarship opportunities.