The University of Connecticut Doctor of Physical Therapy Program requests nominations for the Joseph Smey Excellence in Physical Therapy Award. This award is designed to recognize superior professional contributions from alumni of the UConn Physical Therapy Program.
- Must be a graduate of the UConn Physical Therapy Program.
- Must show evidence of outstanding clinical care, professional service, education, community or scholarly activity
- Preferred to have evidence of consistent contributions to the profession including recognition and honors in endeavors related one or more areas of patient care, education, service, and scholarly activity.
Nominations will be accepted from the UConn PT Alumni community and UConn physical therapy faculty. Please submit nomination packets in electronic form using pdf format. (Letters of support also must be included in the packet in pdf format.) Required documents are listed below. Include the nominee’s last name in the pdf file name. Please email completed packets to Laurie Devaney at Laurie.firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for submissions is March 1 at 5:00 pm. Recipients will be notified by March 15, and the award will be presented at the UConn DPT White Coat Ceremony in May.
Required Documents for the Nomination Packet
- A brief cover letter from the primary nominator that clearly states the impact area from selection criteria listed below.
- No more than two (2) additional letters in support of the nomination from persons with an intimate knowledge of the nominee’s accomplishments.
- The nominee’s curriculum vitae.
- Optionally, submit any additional supporting documentation that will assist the selection committee in evaluating the nominee’s suitability for an award, e.g. publications, previous awards, news articles, etc.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of demonstrated excellence and lasting impact in one or more of the following areas:
- Clinical expertise and commitment to health care within a community or patient population
- Service with meaningful impact on the Program, University, and/or profession
- Development and delivery of health care education
- Scholarly activity as evidenced by grants, publications, and professional reputation
- Creativity or innovation in health care education, research or implementation of physical therapy services
The Kinesiology Department Awards Committee will review all nominee materials. Winners will be notified and recognized at the UConn DPT White Coat Ceremony on May 13, 2023.
Questions about the nomination process should be directed to Laurie Devaney at Laurie.email@example.com.
2019 - Roland Perrault
2021 - David Bostic
2022 - Deborah Bubela